Thursday, June 9, 2011
I Live in Vancouver
And right now that only means one thing...ALL CANUCKS ALL THE TIME. Now, I'm going to admit that I'm not the biggest hockey fan. But, living in this hockey crazed city (this place is mental about the Canucks, see the above picture from game 2 in Downtown Vancouver) so you kind of learn about hockey and the team through osmosis.
The first 2 games of the Finals the Canucks were skating fast, they were getting the breaks, and Luongo was hot. In games 3 & 4 Boston is the faster team, they're beating Vancouver to every puck, Chara is manhandling Kesler in front of the net. Luongo looks tired and frankly, after the 3rd goal yesterday, a little defeated. I've never been on the Canucks' bandwagon, but if I was I would be looking for a soft spot to land as I plotted my jump.
But, the drastic swing in the series is not what I want to touch on in this post. I want to talk about why, especially after this series, I have officially lost interest in hockey and the NHL. Last night was an utter embarrassment, not the score, but the fighting, the chipping, the diving, the acting, and the yipping from the bench. Both teams looked like they were more interested in landing a zinger and shouting profanities than winning the game. It was evident in the warm-up when Kesler hugged the red line and Manny Malhotra stuck his ass out so far it looked like he was flirting with the other team.
Both teams acted like Neanderthals last night (and in game 3). You're professionals and adults...act like it! I know most people will say, "That's old time hockey". Well, it's not "the old times" (concussions are ending the careers of talented players too early and players are more physical and bigger than they ever were). When I'm watching hockey I want to see athleticism, not finger biting, ankle slashing, and Oscar nominated falls to the ice. I want to see great, aggressive plays and great saves.
There are only 2 sports that don't "discourage" fighting (well, aside from actual fighting sports), that's hockey and NASCAR. I know as a Canadian I don't want my national pastime to be mentioned in the same breath as NASCAR...even thought it does get higher ratings in the US. Even with all the crap the NBA takes (remember in 2009 the infamous Pacers-Pistons brawl) they seem to have cleaned up their act in an attempt to be taken more seriously.
I know a lot of this argument comes from parents (I'm not a parent, nor do I plan on being), well, I'm not sure I buy that argument, as it is a parent's job to parent and not the NHL's. But, when I saw a player yelling "Fuck you cocksucker!" into the CBC camera, I did cringe a little and think of all the kids out there, who call these players heroes.
Hockey will never be a top 5 sport in America if they don't sort their shit out. The NHL needs to decide what it wants to be, a league of goons, concussions, and bullies, or a premier sports league that rivals the NBA and NFL.
j
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment