The Miami Heat are a formidable opponent. They have 3 players that are in the top 15 in the world right now, full-on superstars of the NBA. If I'm the Dallas Mavericks I look at the 3 lining up across from me and I take a big gulp...well, at least I would have...before yesterday.
There is something to be said for star power versus good 'ol, genuine heart, drive, work ethic, and determination. Dirk Nowitzki (with a 102 degree fever) wants the ball. He wants to make plays. He wants to come up big for his team. And he's doing it by turning to the basics and putting the ball on the floor and driving to the hoop. The Mavs are curbing the celebrations and working hard for each point. Watching the Mavs right now is like watching a 3 legged dog chase a Frisbee in 3 feet of snow...You know the dog is going to get that Frisbee, but it's a struggle.
By contrast, and what was glaringly evident in yesterday's forth quarter, Lebron James does not want the ball. He can't get it out of his hands fast enough. For a super star that is supposed to be putting the team on his back and carrying them to HIS first championship, he's sure not acting like the man that starred in "The Decision". I've heard a lot of commentary about Lebron's play yesterday. One ESPN commentator even said, "I don't know what's going on in his head, it would be interesting to be inside there." I think Lebron has to turn the radio off, stop reading the blogs, and burn his newspapers. He seems like the type of player who is really conscious of these things and I think that is contributing to his downfall. After game 2 the big criticism was that he is taking too make bad shots, well now he's not taking any, and the result only 9 points in 4th quarters during these Finals. Super stars have fragile egos. And this ego is hyper sensitive, which is impacting his game.
Do I think Lebron will repeat his mistakes in game 5? Not a chance. He is a super star after all. A super star, who will be reading all the blogs, listening to the radio, and watching PTI.
j

No comments:
Post a Comment