Tuesday, August 16, 2011

3rd Week In

...3 Weeks...

That's all it's taken for me to return to the maladjusted state that is my life in medical school. We had our first exam yesterday and as expected it was a major kick to the crotch. Neuro... ouch, is all I have to say.



One lucky change up this year is classes run from 8 a.m. till noon vs. the 1 to 5 p.m. schedule of last year. This is nice because I can head to class in the morning and try and passively soak up whatever I can from class and I have all afternoon to go home and sort it out. Unfortunately, for me this has meant afternoons off, with late night study sessions, and early morning rises. And as you can imagine, after 2 weeks and one exam with minimal sleep, I'm running on empty.



...And so...

A re-evaluation is in order

I decided to start week 3 clean slate. This means modified study plans/treat school like a job.

Up by 6:30.

Class 8 to noon.

Lunch till one.

Coffee run.

Then study till I collapse around 5, 6, 7, or 8...

Squeeze in a little time at the gym when I'm in need of a study break.

and

Bed by 11:00... hopefully (that's going to hard for this insomniac).



I'm stressing health, because it borderline impossible to maintain this routine when you feel like shiz. This means lots of fruits and veggies, whole grains, and lean proteins. I've officially cut artificial sweeteners and soda from my life (bye bye diet coke, crystal light, and aspartame laden nasties... I'm serious this time!). And good sleep has become a major priority, if not essential based on recent lack of sleep and resultant inability to function.



Glamorous no?



At least for now near nightly runs and dinners out are keeping me sane. I invested in an exercise ball which I opt to sit on while studying and it surprisingly makes the act a little more fun (Got to get that exercise where you can). Once again my life has been relocated to the hospital Starbucks and medical school study rooms. Brain and Behavior (Neuro and Psych)--> you haven't got the best of me yet.





...Now just to make you laugh, a little snippet from The Office...

This is me (minus the glasses, and add the medical textbooks):








No comments:

Post a Comment