Friday, August 19, 2011

Body Image

This last year I've been a little more fixated than most on getting back into shape, primarily because year before last was officially the first time that I let myself fall out of it. This entailed a year of up and down attempts at dieting (which I literally cannot do) and a lot of time at the gym. By the end of MS1 I was back to college me and feeling much more confident. Over the summer I tapered off on the gym and gained a few lbs back, but I still feel good and am confident that they'll fade out when I get back into it.



So, what's the point?



Today we had a lecture on eating disorders and while I can't fully understand the mentality that brings someone to the depths of disorder, I can relate to issues regarding body image. Too many times I've let my day be ruined because the scale was a little higher than it was yesterday or it wasn't quite where I wanted it to be. Too many times I've been sucked into conversations about dieting with girlfriends and walked away feeling fat and/or ugly.



I know it isn't new information, but I wanted to support the endorsement for health vs an obsession with a number. We all have different body types. It's more important to try and be your best you than to compare yourself, your weight, and your body to those around you. There are many different definitions of beautiful and beauty does in fact come in many different shapes and sizes.



I just wanted to throw that out there. It's something that I think we all need a little reminding of now and again.



...And now...

A few resources to help you keep your health in mind:



BMI

Body mass index is a greater indicator of overall health than a simple analysis of weight. The BMI takes into account both your height and weight to determine your health status as under, normal, overweight, or obese.

*Please keep in mind that muscle does weigh more than fat and BMI ratings can be inaccurate for athletes that have a lot of muscle mass.
*





Balanced Nutrition


The USDA has revamped the traditional food pyramid to allow for an easier to follow plate proportion pattern.



Live Strong

This website has a variety of functions including applications that let you calculate your nutritional/caloric requirements, monitor your weight, BMI, and the myplate app which allows you to track your meals. It can be a great resource for someone trying to lose weight or just as a reference for you to find deficits in nutrition based on your current eating habits.



...And last but not least...

My Body Gallery


This website hosts a series of pictures from real women of a variety of heights, weights, and body types. More than anything it emphasizes the fact that there is a lot of variability between bodies even when height and weight are similar and the idea that a number isn't always the best indicator of health.



That's it for now.

Here's to your health and being the best you. Remember...

You Are Beautiful.



No comments:

Post a Comment