
If you tuned into my last post you know that this summer I indulged in some dating adventures. This was primarily spurred by boredom and a desire to figure out what exactly it is I like in the opposite sex.
You see, in all reality I really haven't dated a lot. I'm 24 and I think it's time to figure it out, so while I'd like to do a more solid recap of the dates I went on and the lessons I learned, I simply don't have the time. Instead, I've decided to give you a brief stat list of the dates I remember and the clinical, ahem I mean dating, pearls I walked away with.
*Oh and since I was able to sample a few tasty city hot spots, I thought I'd make some restaurant suggestion along the way.*
Date 1:
Adam, 29 yo lawyer.
Lunch date at Caffe Niche, which I whole-heartedly recommend (yum Beef Hanger Steak Salad). What this guy didn't have in looks he made up in personality. Literally laughed the whole time via his quick wit. While I was open to a second date, I ultimately decided to decline because his lifestyle was incompatible with mine i.e. he was at happy hour virtually every day.Date 2:
Mega Douche, 31 yo Stock Broker who claimed to be a law student.
Lunch date at Aristo's. Fresh Greek and they load you on the feta, do try it. This guy was a completely entitled. He claimed he was starting law school in the fall, but in reality he had yet to even apply or finish his bachelors (what the?). He made me send a picture of myself "so he wouldn't forget what I looked like," but I know it was just to make sure I was hot enough, which considering his less than desirable physical traits was unjust as well as despicably shallow. He told me I was 'hot enough' for date #2, but seeing as he was a complete tool, with zero personality, who I suspect still lived with his mother, I declined.Date 3:
Mr. 6'7". 29 yo Web Page Designer.
Lunch Date at Market Street Broiler, a fresh seafood must. This guy was incredibly tall, which made me feel incredibly small and while I like feeling small and ergo feminine, it's unfortunate that his personality didn't measure up. He was really nice, but he wouldn't open up and seemed more focused on his recent diet (30 lb weight loss) than on letting me get to know him. I elected not to see him again.Date 4:
Adam, 29 yo day trader.
Lunch date at the Park Cafe (pretty good) and a walk around the park. This guy is super nice, but he lives a little far away. While he was initially a little timid, he seems like a total sweet heart. Date #2 we went to Cafe Fresco- this place is amazing and if you're willing to drop the cash on a gourmet meal, it will change your life. Date #3, Harry Potter and The Deathly Hallows part II. You know that anyone who will indulge in HP with me is a keeper. I have plans for date #4 with this guy on Saturday, just a quick lunch (it's an exam weekend and that's all I have time for), but we'll see. I think I should be able to decide one way or the other by date 4 if I want to continue seeing this guy. I'll let you know.
Date 5:
Amazing, but arrogant? 29 yo Accountant.
First date was a lunch date at Koko's Kitchen. Convo A+, food sub par, but this was followed by a slurry of other dates that are too many to enumerate. I've been seeing this guy now for a couple of months, but I'm not sold. He treats me really great, but there is this prideful side that comes out now and again that leaves him coming off a little arrogant and occasionally controlling. Needless to say, it's a turn off and while I admit he treats me better than any other guy I've been with, these traits have so far been enough to keep me from committing. Confidence is hot, arrogance is not... I'm still holding out hoping he's the former.Date 6:
26 yo medical student.
A few hours spent laying at the pool after which I declined dinner. This guy while undeniably good looking, spent the majority of the day telling me about his crazy exes and how he'd been mistreated by ladies in his past. Hey, I feel for you buddy. I've been there, but by they end of the date I was left wondering what kind of a issues a guy must have to stick it out with ladies manifesting that level of crazy and I mean CRAZY! However, I'm sure the fact that he claimed these ex's were former models had something to do with it.Date 7:
Dave. 25 yo barista. This was not exactly a date, we just decided to meet up after talking on the site. We grabbed coffee and had a chat. We hit it off so well I decided to join him for a family party after coffee. It was an amazing night and Dave and I have since become pretty great friends. Plenty of Fish, 10 points for you.Date 8:
Mr. "My pic is misrepresentative of what I actually look like." 30 yo small business owner.
Met me at my place while I was painting some furniture for a little chat and a coffee break. While I really appreciated the special delivery Starbucks Mocha, this guy was a little rough around the edges and while he was nice I got the feeling it was more a means to and end than anything else.Date 9:
Roger, 29 yo car salesmen.
Ok, he is actually son of the owner, which he will gladly tell you. This guy was persistent after I initially denied his request for a date. I finally agreed to meet him after multiple contacts post my initial denial and even after an explanation of why I had elected not reply to his messages (he posted multiple shirtless photos, a sure sign of douche), he still keeps contacting me. In his texts he likes to refer to me as things like "cutie" or "sexy," which I find abhorrent. Really this guy is coming off like a major tool and while I question date 5's (29 yo accountant) arrogance, this guy without a question thinks he's something special. I still get the occasional text, but so far I've ended up cancelling on every meet and greet we've set up... Flaky? Yes, but c'mon this guy isn't taking the clue. Come to think of it, I'm not sure why I even keep responding to him. I think I'll stop now.Date 10:
John, 29 yo BYU grad, invlolved in marketing and productions.
We met for coffee at the hospital Starbucks. By the end of this tortuous hour and a half I was ready to cut my own ears off. I've heard of the reputation that BYU grads have an air of smug about them, but this is my first real experience with it. Not to mention this guy is on the wife hunt and I'm certainly not looking for the same things he is.Date 11:
Chris, 29 yo, Canadian Mechanical Engineer.
Dinner at Cafe Gourmandise- Delish. I recommend this bakery for truly scrumptious salads and sandwiches which can be followed up with a tasty pastry of your choice. Win! So, I've heard that engineers can be a little dry... this guy was no exception. He also likes to joke about sex a little too much i.e. I'm pretty sure it was more test the waters, 'I'm just kidding unless you're going to do it' than anything else. Did you not read my profile header--> Seeking fun, nice guys (emphasis on nice)? Guess not. Needless to say, I'm not looking for the booty call or to trade naughty pics. Adios Canada.And... that's really all I can remember at the moment. Basically I've had a lot of first dates and to my credit, every guy has asked for a 2nd. I've only elected to take two of these suitors up on their requests, but alas I'm still on the search for Mr. Right.
...A few things I've learned along the way...
Regarding online dates:
Regarding online dates:
1) Lunch dates are key. I request these and make it a point to tell the guys I go out with that I'm looking for something short and sweet on a first meet. I figure this is a good way to see if there is any chemistry, not to mention that meeting in day light hours offers a good window for easy escape, and to make sure the other person isn't a total crazy.
2) Always meet the guy there. I don't let anyone know where I live, save the 2 guys I have elected to see again and date 8 who brought me coffee at my place. This is a matter of safety and one that I think is important to maintain.
But what about the real lessons?
Have I actually narrowed down what I'm looking for in a guy?
.Yes and No.
There is something to say for the experience I'm gaining, but unfortunately I'm yet to meet Mr. Right.
The fact that I've gone on so many dates and haven't found a guy I'm diggin' on seems quite the debacle. I have found myself asking if I'm too picky, but after a little soul searching I really don't think that is the case.
You see, I've liked plenty of guys with imperfections. In fact, sometimes those are the quirks, the good things that you like most about a person.
There are just a few things I've decided I can't stand:
1) Arrogance, especially unfounded.
2) Heavy drinkers. It's just not my scene.
3) Sexual predators. If a guy brings up sex or calls me sexy on the first day, you can expect me to R-U-N the other way.
And what about the things I do like?
There have been some redeeming qualities in a few of the guys I've met.
I like:
1) Someone that can conversate. Keep my ears happy and be willing to listen and I'm yours.
2) Someone handy. It makes me feel like a woman to have a guy teach me things.
3) Education/Good Job. Definitely a plus.
4) Good dresser. I don't need someone overly trendy, but a guy that looks nice and avoids logo tees and over-stitched jeans is muey preferred.
5) Fun. Spontaneity and a sense of humor. Grrr...
6) Traditional. Treat me like a lady. No rush, no pressure.
And yeah... Of course there is no cookie cutter for attraction and I don't expect perfection, but I'm in no hurry. For the first time in my life I'm taking the opportunity to be selective. It's been good and even if I haven't found any real winners, I have learned a lot about myself in the process.
After a break from the site, I'm back on. I've got a few dates coming up soon. If I get the time I'll keep you updated. There have been so many funny stories I'd love to share, but it's hard to back track.
And now- In honor of my recent marathon man search, let's listen to a little Gaga... I know, it's Gaga, but trust me this just needs to happen:
Have I actually narrowed down what I'm looking for in a guy?
.Yes and No.
There is something to say for the experience I'm gaining, but unfortunately I'm yet to meet Mr. Right.
The fact that I've gone on so many dates and haven't found a guy I'm diggin' on seems quite the debacle. I have found myself asking if I'm too picky, but after a little soul searching I really don't think that is the case.
You see, I've liked plenty of guys with imperfections. In fact, sometimes those are the quirks, the good things that you like most about a person.
There are just a few things I've decided I can't stand:
1) Arrogance, especially unfounded.
2) Heavy drinkers. It's just not my scene.
3) Sexual predators. If a guy brings up sex or calls me sexy on the first day, you can expect me to R-U-N the other way.
And what about the things I do like?
There have been some redeeming qualities in a few of the guys I've met.
I like:
1) Someone that can conversate. Keep my ears happy and be willing to listen and I'm yours.
2) Someone handy. It makes me feel like a woman to have a guy teach me things.
3) Education/Good Job. Definitely a plus.
4) Good dresser. I don't need someone overly trendy, but a guy that looks nice and avoids logo tees and over-stitched jeans is muey preferred.
5) Fun. Spontaneity and a sense of humor. Grrr...
6) Traditional. Treat me like a lady. No rush, no pressure.
And yeah... Of course there is no cookie cutter for attraction and I don't expect perfection, but I'm in no hurry. For the first time in my life I'm taking the opportunity to be selective. It's been good and even if I haven't found any real winners, I have learned a lot about myself in the process.
After a break from the site, I'm back on. I've got a few dates coming up soon. If I get the time I'll keep you updated. There have been so many funny stories I'd love to share, but it's hard to back track.
And now- In honor of my recent marathon man search, let's listen to a little Gaga... I know, it's Gaga, but trust me this just needs to happen:
No comments:
Post a Comment