Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Time at the Ranch

Steven and I have been at the ranch predominately for the last few days...it has been a nice change of pace for me and a nice break from the office. I will give you a quick run down of the last few days so everyone will know what we have been up to...busy is the first way to describe it!!
Let's see, on Saturday I helped Steven run shuttle for the guys that were rafting and still training to be raft guides..they are good to go now though and have done two raft trips on their own. In the afternoon, I helped Caroline, one of the day ride guides get the horses ready for the afternoon ride and then I taught three riding lessons. I had so much fun teaching those...it was a family that loves horses. The aunt came and I am pretty sure she lives in Washington and she brought her two nieces that are from Hawaii. There names are Andre, Marina, and Savana...what fun people! The girls were great with the horses and even helped saddle for the other rides we had over the weekend. They ride a little at a ranch in Hawaii and obviously spend a lot of time in the sun...I could tell by how tan they were. On Sunday..we were going to have the day off...but Steven ended up with a kayak tour in the morning and then he needed to go rafting again in the afternoon. I offered to give Caroline a break from the day rides and guided the afternoon ride since Steven was working anyway...I figured I might as well work while he is working. Then we played volleyball in the evening with all the people in the valley and summer employees...a super fun time...wait...I said played volleyball...what I meant to say was that I watched other people play volleyball :-)
On Monday, I had a day ride in the morning and then had a chance to give the "girls" another lesson in the afternoon. They did so well that we ended up going on a trail ride at the end to work on carrying over skills they learned in the ring out onto the trail. They were just super fun to work with and always had smiles on their faces. I was thankful that I had a chance to work with them and share a little bit about horses with them while they were in Stehekin.
A new day ride guide, Lanai, came on Sunday, so she trained with me a little on Tuesday morning for taking people out on day rides. We only had one rider in the morning...so she came back to do some office work and I went to work in the garden...the garden...now that is a story in itself. See...I started with some seeds in little pots and they were doing really well until it got cold for several days in a row and was really rainy. The plants didn't like that so much so I transferred them to bigger pots so they wouldn't stay so wet....that still didn't work. So, I took them up to the ranch on Tuesday and planted them in an extra bed that Monica had in her garden. I went ahead and planted a few more seeds as well...I am excited about this little garden and being able to help Monica in her garden. I just hope I at least get some okra...no one here knows what that is so I want to be able to have enough to cook it and share so they can have a taste. I was thinking I would cook it fried first...and if they are brave...then I would let them try boiled (Alexis...what do you think about that? Would you like me to overnight you some when it gets ready? :-))
Steven has been staying busy as well and just checking on the new guides this week. They seem to be doing well and now he has the kayak guides trained too. It seems as though our "new" old truck likes to attract nails in the tires too....we have had two flat tires this week so Steven has been changing and repairing tires too at the shop. He has also been working on the irrigation/sprinkler system up at the ranch and mending fences. It goes well until a bear runs through and takes some of it out again..that is what happened on Tuesday morning. Today he was able to so some work at the resort. Tomorrow will be back up at the ranch..at least for part of the day.
That's a quick run down on what has been going on here. I have been starting to take some pictures of guests doing activities, but I am still working on a website and a way to get the proofs to the guests. It is touch to upload a lot of pictures because it takes up bandwidth on the web space and you only get so much a day..or something like that. I don't quite understand yet.
I'll write more soon! Thanks Kristina for the recent comments...I like knowing that you are reading the blog and keeping up with us and our adventures here.

No comments:

Post a Comment