Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Bright Eyed and Crazy

Med School. I’m going to wager that a lot of you, like myself, have at some point had the misguided idea that you would like to pursue a career in medicine. For most of you this was a brief flicker of insanity, but alas, for me the dream persisted. I want to be a doctor. Unfortunately ascertaining said career aspiration is no easy feat. You have to have the grades, the MCAT score, and a slurry of extra-curriculars to even be considered for entry into medical school.

Then come the applications. Aside from the enormous expense (I’ve already invested about $4k), the application process is in itself HELL. You submit a primary application in June, secondaries by October, and can expect to get interviews anytime from October through April. Basically you wait… and wait… and wait… I won’t bore you with how painful it is to exist in limbo for 10 months, but I will tell you that competing for a spot in a class size of 82 against thousands of other bright-eyed crazies just sucks.

Anyway… I’ve been picking up a lot of new and old hobbies in an effort to distract myself from the lingering fear that (gulp!) I may not be accepted. These hobbies include but are not limited to baking, knitting (it’s true), gymnastics, dating douchebags, near daily gym attendance, figure skating (oh yes), and perhaps most beloved, Blogging.

Yes my friends, I have thoughts and I like to write… These two seemingly simple interests have brought me mild relief in the past weeks so I thank you all, all three of you, for reading these little rants of mine and offering the occasional comment. I should know by April whether I’ll be sporting the white coat next fall or not so keep them coming and I’ll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment