Monday, May 9, 2011

Oath of Professionalism


At the onset of this, my first year in medical school, we were required to write our own adaptations of the Hippocratic Oath (an oath historically taken by doctors swearing to practice medicine ethically, widely believed to have been written by Hippocrates, often regarded as the father of western medicine, in Ionic Greek late 5th century BCE).

...This was mine...

As I begin medical school, I both acknowledge and accept the privileges and responsibilities entailed by the practice of medicine. I pledge to remember that of these responsibilities, the highest priority is that of the health and life of my future patients. Accordingly I pledge to conduct myself with the dignity befitting of an advocate and counselor in the medical field.

I commit myself to service and a diligent performance of my duties to learn the sciences necessary to prepare myself for my future career. In doing so I promise to maintain perspective and to remember the reasons that I have chosen to enter this profession; to help others, to alleviate pain and suffering, and to serve humanity. I promise to remain altruistic, empathetic, and to avoid the pitfalls inherent to medicine that can lead to cynicism. I pledge to act with courtesy and cooperation toward my patients, taking the time to listen even when time is limited or stress is high.

I further pledge to provide reliable care and to acknowledge if I am ever not of the capacity to provide care befitting the quality deserving of my patients. If ever error arises in my care I promise to be accountable remembering to apologize with sincerity for the misjudgments I have made regardless of fear of repercussion.

Lastly as I begin medical school I accept my new status as a health professional, and pledge to approach my colleagues and teachers with the integrity and professionalism befitting of that title. These promises I make freely and upon my honor.

No comments:

Post a Comment