Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Only NFL Jersey I Own

For several years I was a Seahawks season ticket holder. I'm in no way a Seahawk fan, but as a football fan I'm lucky that Vancouver is so close to a city with a pro team. I often cheered for the other team when at the stadium...especially the 2 times the Saints played in Seattle when I had tickets (can you say GOLD BODY PAINT?).
However, there was always one player I cheered for in Seattle...Matt Hasselbeck. Say what you will about his bones of glass and his brother's poor taste in women, but he is a class act and I was proud to wear his jersey come game time.

Last year I was at the Saints/Hawks divisional playoff game. It was the best sporting event I've ever been to. It had crazy emotion both on the field and off. Many in the media said the Hawks didn't deserve to be there (and they didn't), but Matt Hasselbeck proved them wrong. Every time the defense hit the field the stadium shook with cheers and every time Matt hit the field the stadium was dead silent. Matt probably knew his days were numbered with the Hawks, but that 41-36 win was an amazing parting memory.

Not all of the memories were great ones and the injuries and interceptions will never be forgotten, but there is a lot for the Hawks new QB Tarvaris Jackson to live up to...10 years of memories, including a Superbowl appearance. As a fan of football I hope Tarvaris and the city of Seattle have a long and successful run together, but I know on October 30th when I go to QWest to watch the Hawks beat the crap out of the Bengals the back of my jersey will say HASSELBECK.

j

No comments:

Post a Comment