Wednesday, January 27, 2010

A Little Light Reading

Somehow between the copious amounts of homework and social obligations that I as a college student am subject to, I found time for a little light reading. Within the 217 pages of this month’s Cosmopolitan I learned:

1) To decipher His Bedtime Body Language- if he sleeps face down he likes to be in control
2) What behaviors are considered Sexy Vs. Skanky: Sexy= flirting via twitter and Skanky= feuding via twitter
3) What Makes a Woman Irresistible- showing off your playful side

While entertaining, I’m going to suggest that about 90% of the material in this magazine is utter rubbish. However, I did stumble upon a little tidbit of knowledge that I’m taking straight to the bank. I can’t fully attribute this epiphany to Cosmo alone, rather it concerns a question I’ve been thinking about for a while…

Is playing games in a relationship really necessary?

After my most recent foray into dating I’m going to say Yes. I’d also like to take this moment to acknowledge that a) I have not had the desire to go back to dating until recently and b) I suck at dating. But back to my original point, you, like myself, may have been under the impression that showing your interest was a good way to approach dating (it would certainly make things less confusing), but I regret to inform you that we’ve been doing things all wrong. In fact, according to Cosmo feigning disinterest, ignoring your new beau, and discounting his accomplishments are more effective means of nabbing a guy. Apparently this behavior appeals to a man’s competitive side.

Semi-ridiculous? Perhaps, but there is a little truth to it. It explains why we all love the chase and why, at least in my case, when a guy treats me bad I keep coming back… We always want what we can’t have.

The solution to this predicament? Start being what they (the opposite sex) can’t have. Though recent experience and now the Cosmo bible deems it effective, I’m disinclined to play mind games. I don’t plan on playing with any poor boy’s heart just yet, but perhaps there’s nothing wrong with making a guy work a little to get to know you... I’ll let you know how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment