Friday, January 22, 2010

University Li(fe)-brary

This is a horrific place. I keep deliberately incarcerating myself in the UL in the vain hope that library hours produce work. One day I will look back on this and laugh.*

In good news, had a nice evening drinking with Libby and watching The Lovely Bones. Pretty sure I cried three times, which is something given the basic complete inaudibility of the stream. Moral of the story = don't trust anyone who tries to lure you to a secret kids' hideout (the hideout is secret, not the kids) in the middle of a field.

I've got to a point in my life where a misplaced apostrophe is THE FUNNIEST THING EVER. 4343 words of dissertation down, probably one million to go. I write at approx. one word per hour.

Basic summary of my day in the UL:

1. Get there before 9.30. This is before the reading room opens (I've only done this once).

2. Wait with the seething hordes of maniac academics (you can tell because they manage to read books angrily in a way that just screams 'take the book I want and I'll make your life unliveable').

3. Sit down. Spread out books. Go to tea rooms for cup of tea and snack. Get shouted at by the inexplicably aggressive man. ('IVE HAD TO CALL YOUR NAME FOUR TIMES FOR THIS PANINI')

4. Pretend that being in the tea rooms constitutes a social life by chatting frantically to anyone and everyone you know, even if you only know them because you stare at them in the tea rooms.

5. Return to seat. Check facebook, googlemail, facebook, googlemail, blog, facebook.

6. Read a sentence. Write one word. Erase it. Write a different word in another paragraph. Delete that.

7. Repeat steps 3-6 a few times.

8. At six o clock, leave.

I aspire to look like this


*Manically, from my prison cell.

No comments:

Post a Comment