Monday, June 14, 2010

What's Your Story?

When I was a little girl I used to listen to my grandmothers talk for hours about what life was like when they were little girls. They told me about how they'd made 'poor man's ice-cream' by pouring milk and a little vanilla extract onto snow in the winter time or how they had dyed and starched their own petticoats in sugar water to wear under their 1950's era skirts. I always loved their stories. I always loved hearing what life was like for them from their own mouths.

I stumbled across "Interview Project" last week. It's a project directed by Austin Lynch and David S. who, with their team, have spent the past year traveling around the United States interviewing people they meet on the streets. Most interviews are from people that have been through harder walks of life, though there is a lot of variety. The interviews are posted every three days as mini-documentaries... and they're amazing.

Real people. Their lives. Their stories. Told from their own mouths.

I spent a day watching literally 40 of them last week.
Some are a little blasé, some eye-opening, and others make you laugh because of the sheer craziness of the interviewees. They're not exactly the kind of stories my grandmothers used to tell me, but they reminded me of how much I loved to listen.

So interesting. See for yourself at...

No comments:

Post a Comment