Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Boss George Steinbrenner Legendary and Controversial Owner of the New York Yankees Dies at 80

George Steinbrenner purchased the Yankees when I was 10 years old. As a huge Mets fan, I chided my Yankee fan friends, “Who’s this nobody from Cleveland?”

As time went by, Steinbrenner became easy to hate and make fun of. He fired the manager what seemed like every other week. But, less than 3 years later in 1976, the Yankees got to the World Series and got swept by the Cincinnati Reds.

More jokes.

But, the Yankees went onto to win back to back championships in 77 and 78.

The jokes stopped and envy set in.

The Boss was a character and he made himself bigger than the game. More championships rolled in and I had to give credit where credit was due.

I still hate the Yankees, but 37 years later, I wished Steinbrenner had brought the New York Mets instead.

RIP George and God Bless!

ESPN Steinbrenner Tribute

Click to Read Other Important Stories in The Last Tradition

No comments:

Post a Comment