Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Purpose...

It's a little known fact that earlier this year I was feeling a little angsty. Life had me in a funk. A funk that led me to begin this blog and to start asking myself some questions. Questions that have helped me understand myself and that eventually led me to become virtually angst-free and almost sickeningly happy.

*I'll refrain from gushing*

Now while I may currently be feeling 'Bright and Shiny,' this road to happy town involved a lot of reevaluation and thought. One of the things I thought a lot about is the idea of...


You see, towards the end of my 'funk' I started to realize just how egocentric my little existence had become, that ultimately the only person my self-induced misery was affecting was, well... me.

And so I started to look for something bigger,

*A Purpose.*

I considered things like Family, Friends, God & Religion, Service, Work, Success, and Education.

And while all of those things are important, regardless of what I considered I still felt like I lacked direction...

It was somewhere around all of this turmoil that I was finally accepted into med school and I realized just how much of my funk was due to the state of limbo and fear of failure I'd existed in while applying over the last year. It was also about this time that I found that I actually already had the purpose I was looking for, I'd just been too blind, stressed, and into my own problems to see it.

So in an effort to express my recently 'Bright and Shiny' status and to encourage you all to define your own sense of purpose I decided to hash out where I found mine. My sense of purpose comes from...

The relationships I build with others,
the growth I'm experiencing,
the love I feel for my family and friends,
my education,
the plans I have for a career in which I will make a difference,
expanding my ways of thinking,
meeting new people/experiencing new perspectives,
seeing the world,
and
making sense of
my own little life.
(which is coincidentally often times documented right here on 'State of Polarity')

...And there you have it...
-From funky to fab. Oh what a wonderful year this has been!-

...

**Side note - Since my funk and days of heavy pondering I've kind of realized that happy people don't do a lot of thinking. I've kept things pretty tame on here, but what I mean to say is that when I was feeling all angsty I'd sit and hash-out things like perspective, purpose, and the nature of happiness on a pretty regular basis. Now that I'm mayor of happy town, I think about those things a lot less and well a lot of that stuff just seems kind of... emo.


-Should I get tattoos of a revolver on my hip bones, start dressing in all black, or perhaps get an edgy new haircut or piercing?-
...i think not...

*Just consider this an exposé of my 'Dark and Twisty' side*

No comments:

Post a Comment