Tuesday, July 13, 2010

MD Cribs!

I'm officially moved into my 1st year med student apartment. Yes, my room is roughly the same size as my old walk-in closet and the exact same size as a federal prison cell (8'x10'), but I love it!

A special thanks goes to 'Step Daddy D' for letting me borrow his F250 truck to haul all my stuff,... *Before I left he told me "Heather, I just want you to know that I love that truck more than a human baby."*... to my lil bros for being my personal moving crew, and to my big sis for housing and feeding me during the move.

And now, because I've had multiple requests from friends and fam to see my sweet new digs and because I am completely excited and proud of my lil 'cupboard under the stairs,' I'm going to fill you all in on my new spot.

...The Window...
*I scored the chair at TJ MAXX for $60 and the drapes from Walmart (go figure) for $23. My shells from Mexico hang in the corner.*

...The View...
*9th floor. At night you can see all the city lights. It's beautiful!*

...The Perfect Bed...
*If you were around during my bedding search you know that I was obsessed. I finally settled on the Vera Wang 'City Nights' bedding set. The headboard from Pier One was scored 2nd hand from KSL Classifieds for $30. My pillow top mattress and the down pillows I splurged on were well worth it. Though not clearly pictured, framed photos of the London Eye, the Eiffel Tower, and the Colosseum that I took while on study abroad hang on the wall at right.*

...The Swag Lamp...
*Vintage 70's swag lamp purchased on Ebay for $60. I spray painted the brass silver, repaired the crystals, and cleaned the lamp for a total investment of $70. Hanging the lamp on the concrete ceiling was a challenge. Rather than drilling into the concrete I hand-screwed hooks into corner pieces of wall molding that I got at Lowe's for $3 each and used an extra strength adhesive (Gorilla Glue) to hang them from the ceiling.*

...The Armoire...
*Hand-crafted pine armoire originally purchased at Gardner Village scored on Craigslist for $75. I installed a closet rod in this lil baby to accommodate my wardrobe (feeling pretty handy by this point) and I used the top of the armoire to display some of my souvenirs (bookends, wood bowl, and stone carving) from Africa.*

...The Knobs...
*Glass knobs purchased on Ebay for $20. I replaced the boring pine knobs on the armoire to create a more glam look and tie in the crystals on my swag lamp.*

...The Nightstand and Lantern Floor-Lamp...
*I scored the Ikea nightstand on KSL Classifieds for $30 and the floor lamp was a house-warming gift from my sister.*

I also got a beautiful white desk that I found on KSL Classifieds for $30, but there wasn't enough room in my bedroom for it (you might have noticed the 3' of open space in front of my bed and the 2' walkway between armoire and bed to my closet). It's now being used as a side table in the kitchen area. The living room is officially furnished, though modestly and is yet to be decorated. That's it! It may be small, but so far I'm loving my apartment, my new roommate, and it feels great to be back in SLC and close to family.

*For a total investment of just under $1000, I think it's safe to say that my years of TLC, Design on a Dime, and HGTV watching has paid off. I'm real proud of my handiwork and super excited to have the little sanctuary I was hoping for. Let me know what you think!*

...And so ends this edition of MD Cribs...
Med school here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment