Monday, August 16, 2010

2nd Day

It's surreal. It's scary. But it's also exciting. Today was my 2nd day of medical school...
Ok, so this week is really just orientation.

We've spent the majority of the last 2 days hearing mini lectures on professionalism, what to expect in our upcoming coursework, getting our computers set up, and getting acquainted with our microscopes, cadavers, and classmates. My class is comprised of only 26 girls with 56 boys. Kind of surprising considering most medical schools try and pull a 50/50 gender ratio, but regardless everyone is really nice... and there may our may not be a few hotties.

This hottie situation is both good and bad seeing as I'm not sure it is advisable to date anyone in my own class because if things went south I'd be stuck with the awkward seeing your ex in class everyday for the next four years thing. In theory I think it's probably best not to 'pee in my own pool' and if I do in fact find time for a dating/social life in med school it'd be best to stick with the class above myself or people outside the realm of student doctors...

Anyway, that's a tangent. I'm really writing just to say that so far everything is going good. Aside from a mini freak-out I had yesterday night *shh... you know me I get all worried and worked up about things. I was feeling a little intimidated by all the smarties running about and worried that I'm not going to find my niche in the crowd* I'm feeling pretty excited.

I once heard somewhere that if you don't find yourself doubting your decision to be in med school then you're not taking it seriously enough. While I may have brief moments of doubt while considering the impending commitment that is the next 4 years of school, 3+ years of residency, and career, I know I'm where I'm supposed to be and I'm taking this commitment seriously. Don't worry, I'll remember to work hard and keep my head up. Cross your fingers for me!

*In the meantime I'll be performing my own rendition of this each morning*


No comments:

Post a Comment